Which episodes could you watch forever?

Talk of the show itself, in any and all ways

Which episodes could you watch forever?

Postby loomborn » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:52 pm

Fun question:

What are three episodes of Doctor Who you could watch over and over without without getting tired of them? Not necessarily your favorites - I'd count City of Death as a favorite of mine but if I watch it again in the next couple of years I'll tear my eyeballs out - but which eps have infinite rewatchability for you? The ones where as soon as you watch them you're ready to watch them again?

For me... I'm gonna say:

-The Five Doctors
-Terror of the Vervoids
-The Happiness Patrol

-Andy
loomborn
Site Admin

Re: Which episodes could you watch forever?

Postby Raene » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:07 pm

The doctor dances, human nature/family of blood, day of the doctor - last museum scene gets me every time.
Raene

Postby galacticprobe » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:54 pm

Wow... this is a tough one. Pick only three from 51 years of stories/episodes, and 200 of those being in the New Series alone? (You like torturing people, don't you, Andy? :lol: )

After twisting my brain to wring out the episodes I've never gotten tired of watching, I think I would have to go with:

"The Time Meddler"/"The Three Doctors"/"The Masque of Mandragora" (Tie)
"The Invasion"/"Blink"/"The Doctor's Wife" (Tie)
"Black Orchid"/"The Eleventh Hour"/"The Day of the Doctor" (Tie)

Not necessarily in that order, mind you, and it's really hard to narrow that down further without risk of needing a total cranial lobotomy, but those are episodes that I never get tired of watching, and could watch them ad infinitum. (And I have to throw in a fourth - again a tie, but "The Invasion of Time" and "Journey to the Center of the TARDIS".)

Dino.
Last edited by galacticprobe on Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"
galacticprobe

Postby Wolfish » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:47 pm

This is far too difficult to decide. I grew up with the older series, so there's just so many that are really, really good.
Tomb of the Cyberman
Dalek Invasion of Earth
Genesis of the Daleks (probably my favorite because Baker was my first Doctor)
Midnight
Blink
Vincent and the Doctor (because I'm a huge Van Gogh fan)
The Girl who Waited
Day of the Doctor (because who doesn't love both at once???)
Planet of the Spiders

And that's just a few. The list would be shorter if you asked for episodes I *didn't* like!
Wolfish

Postby julieonefive » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:27 am

This reply is way late, but when I was a kid we recorded everything on Betas. We had a crazy library of tapes, with binders indexing the episodes by name AND by episode order. We'd even log the counter number for where on each tape each episode began. (Come to find out, the counters were not consistent from machine to machine, so we'd log multiple numbers.)

Given the above, we found one tape that my little brother, my mother and I all loved:
- 1st episode on tape: Hand of Fear (brother's favorite - ELDRAD MUST LIVE! - imagine that with a ring-pop)
- 2nd episode on tape: Deadly Assassin (Mom's favorite)
- 3rd episode on tape: Face of Evil (my favorite)

All that being said, when I was sick earlier this week, I pulled City of Death up on Hulu and was happy as a clam. :)

And was it Andy that said Happiness Patrol? That episode scared the CRAP outta me! It still freaks me out a little.
julieonefive

Postby galacticprobe » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:21 am

julieonefive wrote:This reply is way late, but when I was a kid we recorded everything on Betas. We had a crazy library of tapes, with binders indexing the episodes by name AND by episode order. We'd even log the counter number for where on each tape each episode began.

Great minds think alike, julieonefive! (Sounds like a 'Logan's Run' name there.) I did the same when it came to recording 'Doctor Who' episodes! Started out with very grainy images from WHYY (Ch. 44 from Philly) when I was stationed in New York and lived on Staten Island. Then we found WNJN (Ch. 50, Montclair, NJ) with crystal clear image! However, we had to have our internal UHF antenna positioned just right (this was in an apartment building, 12th floor); if we didn't, any planes on their way into or out of Kennedy, La Guardia, or Newark airports would make the picture pulsate, fuzz out, and distort! Oh, the joys of old antenna reception! (Yes; I'm that old - in fact on the 15th of this month, even older. :roll: )

Then we started re-recording everything. (The first one we found was "Logopolis". They finished the Tom Baker and Peter Davison eras - showing each story in "movie" format on Saturday nights). Then they started with William Hartnell and Ep 1! We taped everything and logged the numbers. Our Beta failed when they got to Jon Pertwee's "The Curse of Peladon", and with no other Betas to be found by then, we bought a VHS to record the rest. I was transferred to Virginia Beach (where I ended up retiring) after Sylvester McCoy's second season, and with no 'Who' showing in my new area, Season 26 was the only one I never caught on tape.

Thanks heavens they started releasing the stories on DVD because it's nigh on impossible to fine a reliable Beta player, and I'm sure those tapes have seriously degraded by now. So we're rebuilding the collection on DVD (and Netflix is holding us over with the New Series until we can get them all)!

julieonefive wrote:And was it Andy that said Happiness Patrol? That episode scared the CRAP outta me! It still freaks me out a little.

Okay, I say let's start a second topic: "Which 'Doctor Who' episodes really scared the pogies out of you?" (Yeah, I know "pogies" is a Classic 'Galactica' term, but it works to get the point across.)

I'll keep an eye out for that one; if nobody starts it within a day or so, I'll start it. Then we'll have this "Favorite" topic, and the "Keep it away!" topic. :D

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"
galacticprobe

Postby Twilight Trekker » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:16 am

I have to get back to my Doctor Who programming --- the Christmas episode was just NOT enough. It was great though. If I could watch forever it would be the Patrick Troughton episodes, the Jon Pertwee episodes and Tom Baker Seasons 12 - 16 and Colin Baker episodes. I am working my way through the classic Doctors. Favorite current episode is "Partners In Crime".

I have seen the awful Peter Cushing movies. Trust me, don't bother, you can't "unsee" them. Great Daleks though.
Twilight Trekker

Postby galacticprobe » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:40 am

Twilight Trekker wrote:I have seen the awful Peter Cushing movies. Trust me, don't bother, you can't "unsee" them. Great Daleks though.

Now, let's not be too harsh on the Cushing films. Granted, it's an Americanized version of the Hartnell stories "The Daleks" and "The Dalek Invasion of Earth" (in Cushing titles "Dr. Who and the Daleks" and "Daleks - Invasion Earth: 2150 A.D."), but they're still a decent watch. Cushing's portrayal of the Earthling inventive genius named "Dr. Who" might be a cross between Hartnell and Groucho Marx, but he's fun to watch. And let's not forget that in the second film, Tom, the policeman that gets dragged off with Dr. Who to that Dalek invasion of the Earth is none other than Bernard Cribbins: Wilfred Mott, Donna Noble's granddad! So there is a connection (albeit small) between the films and series. (Incidentally, in the Hartnell story "The War Machines", the Doctor was actually called "Doctor Who" by several of the characters - mostly the baddies - but still, other than the in-jokes from other stories where he introduces himself and is asked, "Doctor, who?", the baddies in "The War Machines" actually said things like "Doctor Who must join our cause!" or something like that. This story has the distinction of being the only one in the show's history to have the Doctor actually called "Doctor Who" as his name in the dialogue.)

I own the box set which has both Cushing films and an extra DVD titled "Dalekmania" which is a documentary detailing quite a bit on how the Daleks came about and their popularity. So, telling everyone "don't bother" with those films is a little unfair. Sure, let people know that they're a departure from the series with "Dr. Who" being an Earth scientist/inventor and not an alien Time Lord, but he's invented a space/time machine called "TARDIS" that looks like a Police Box - the closest thing to an actual Met Police Box of any TARDIS prop - is bigger on the inside and can still travel, randomly, through time and space. (People can probably borrow all DVDs from their local libraries for free. Unfortunately, for Netflix subscribers, they only have the first film and it's on a waiting list: "Availability Unknown"; also unfortunately Hulu doesn't have they either, so a library is the best bet... unless they're available on other subscription services like Amazon Prime. They are both available on Dailymotion, but that site can be choppy at times; "Dalekmania" only has a 14-minute clip on there.) Then at least allow others to watch the films if they choose and make their own call on them.

Dino.
galacticprobe

Postby Throwler » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:13 am

I wish I was able to watch the same episodes again and again. Sadly I can't, as much as I love the show.
Throwler

Postby NamelessBaroness » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:50 am

I could just loop "The Empty Child" and "The Doctor Dances," certainly. That, "Everybody lives! Just the once, everybody lives!" moment brings tears to my eyes, every time.
Old Who... "The Daemons." Pertwee, Delgado, that ridiculous dark magic set-up, a thoroughly annoyed Brig... All my favorite things about classic Who!
A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting. ~Three

Good grief.... It's a Stegosaurus! ~Also Three
NamelessBaroness

Return to CLASSIC AND NEW SERIES DISCUSSION