Ace Cosplay Patches-Badges Sourcing and Searching

The main forum! Come and discuss, ask for help, offer advice, share stories, and generally do that for which this forum was created!

Re: Ace Cosplay Patches-Badges Sourcing and Searching

Postby galacticprobe » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:18 am

Welcome to PA, Rose! Good luck with putting together your daughter's jacket. I've been watching this thread grow and there are many patches and pins here that took some hard work and research to ID. Some of the period ones are hard to find, but there are the old standbys to search that will occasionally cough them up at decent prices (those standbys being eBay and etsy).

I'm looking forward to seeing your project unfold.

And for about 12 years now I've been itching to meet someone named Rose just so I could say this...

Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life! ;) :D

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"
galacticprobe

Postby Ktbergeron » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:45 pm

Hey Rose, good to meet you. There is still information to be added to this forum but if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask! Is there a particular episode that you are focusing on? Dragonfire is VERY different from Survival, so you don't have to find ALL the badges we've posted here, unless you decide to collect them as I have. My best and welcome!
Ktbergeron

Postby TheOmniDoc » Fri May 05, 2017 3:09 am

Ktbergeron wrote:Well,...it's been quite some time since I've posted here...but I thought that you might all like to see a few of the new discoveries. These discoveries are regarding that coat as it originally appeared...in Dragonfire.

Hello! Longtime Doctor cosplayer, putting together an Ace for my girlfriend. Thanks largely to research done in this wonderful group, I've managed to order or assemble most of the patches, badges, and buttons in just two weeks! (If I'd known how hard the Brands-Hatch was to find, I'd have bought the one that turned up last week on eBay; hope someone here got it!) Very interested in acquiring a "Football" pin, if anyone learns of a source.

In thanks, two pieces of information:

http://www.wackybuttons.com was able to make brilliant recreations of the Fanderson, Thunderbirds, Spider-Man, nuclear, and Rupert Bear buttons for less than a dollar each, in variable sizes. The whole set cost less than $10 USD, shipped.

Ktbergeron's brilliant images included a great right-side shot of the Dragonfire coat (7G-011.jpg), including one pin which was later replaced by the Harley eagle head pin: it was similarly an eagle head, but facing the other way, and sideways instead of upside-down. It appears to be a US Airborne 101st badge, with a little blue artifact from lighting glare:

TheOmniDoc

Postby TheOmniDoc » Mon May 22, 2017 2:14 pm

Something I just noticed in a rewatch of "Delta and the Bannermen" -- Murray's lapels are festooned with badges and pins, some of which are strikingly familiar. Two sets of poker cards in a fan position, an American flag, and below that an "I Hate Work" pin. There is also a double neck guitar above the flag, an Airborne "Die Like the Rest" on the left side, and several others that may have been transplanted to Ace's bomber jacket for the next serial, but my video is too grainy to get a good look. If anyone has the DVD or any clear publicity stills, Murray may even have the elusive red-green "chicken" pin? Good luck!

Also, does anyone have any information on Ace's Batman earrings from "Remembrance of the Daleks" ...? Just a clear, straight-on image would be enough to recreate a pair. Any ideas on what brand/style of digital watch she wears?
TheOmniDoc

Postby Ktbergeron » Mon May 22, 2017 9:27 pm

Hello TheOmniDoc, to begin, I'm VERY impressed! I figured out the Airborne pin but had yet to post anything about it just yet. I'm shocked that anyone else but me was crazy enough to figure it out! However, there's one more piece of information on that sleeve. You may have also noticed that the pin NEXT to the Airborne pin is different from the Triumph badge, which is worn next to the Harley badge. That other pin is actually for the CIA! :)
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (134.86 KiB) Viewed 176 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (123.11 KiB) Viewed 176 times
Ktbergeron

Postby Ktbergeron » Mon May 22, 2017 9:30 pm

In answer to your other questions, I have redrawn the Batman earring and Sophie and I have even discussed selling it to benefit charity. I don't know what the price would be, but I'm willing to discuss it so it's fair for everyone yet still a beneficial amount if enough are sold. I'd love for that to be possible.

The watch that Ace wears is Tintin.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (347.38 KiB) Viewed 175 times
Ktbergeron

Postby Ktbergeron » Sat May 27, 2017 1:38 pm

Additionally, I recently found and purchased Ace's thermos from Dragonfire!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (125.15 KiB) Viewed 148 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (887.38 KiB) Viewed 148 times
Ktbergeron

Postby galacticprobe » Sat May 27, 2017 11:17 pm

Great find, kt! Where did you come across this beauty? (Ebay? Second-hand shop?)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"
galacticprobe

Postby Ktbergeron » Sun May 28, 2017 12:32 am

Hey Dino, thanks :) eBay, yes :D First I communicated with Thermos companies, including of course Thermos themselves to ensure the manufacturer. They helped me with the "Midi," which narrowed the search away from the thousands of lunchbox character ones of the 1980's :)
Ktbergeron

Postby jdn-85 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:31 pm

Hey I'm there or there abouts finished my 'Survival' version of the jacket (managed to source a jacket with black zips as well!)

Missing a couple of pins, hoping you guys might know where to get them from

1) Cadillac Pin
2) USA flag pin (I've seen loads on ebay, but if you look at the version in 'Survival' it's quite a large pin

Also has anyone managed to get a 'proper' ACE roofing badge other than the felt print off's?

Also, I've had some 'proper' patches made up with the SBI logo on. I ordered 5 to try and recoup some costs (cost me a fair bit) - if anyone's interested in buying one drop me a message.

Thanks, and take care all.

James
jdn-85

PreviousNext

Return to DOCTOR WHO COSTUMING