Who regularly wears their costumes when out & about?

The main forum! Come and discuss, ask for help, offer advice, share stories, and generally do that for which this forum was created!

Who regularly wears their costumes when out & about?

Postby RussellSuthern » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:03 pm

Hi all,

I thought I'f ask a question that has been of interest to me for quite a while & see if it generates any response....

That is- do any of you guys wear your costumes when going normally around town?
When winter hits I have no qualms about wearing my 4th Doctor coat, hat & scarf, although I rarely go as far as wearing the shirt & cravat, I do wear a fairly Dr Who like jumper & cords.
Of course, if you wear a long scarf, people are going to liken you to Dr Who anyway....
I do get a few looks, but any reactions are generally positive.

But what other costumes do people wear? I guess some costumes look less outlandish than others.
Of the old series I suppose you could get away with one or two if you were a bit older & Five & sevens clothes are not too obvious, although a little eccentric.
I think three & six are the ones you'd need real guts to wear- can you imagine popping down to the co op for a pint of milk dressed as Jon or Colin?!

Of the new series, I think all the costumes are actually fairly ok to wear, as they are meant to be more like clothes than costumes, if you see what I mean.

I have seen several long scarves when out & about, as well as one or two Tennant coats & Matt Smith jackets.

So, tell me all guys!
Do you just save the cosplayjust for conventions, or do you get your Dr Who togs on as a regular daily thing?

Enquiring minds wanna know!!! :D

Regards,

Russell
RussellSuthern

Re: Who regularly wears their costumes when out & about?

Postby galacticprobe » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:41 pm

Well, for most of the late fall to the early spring, when the weather is cool enough, I practically live in my 9th Doctor outfit - changing my jumper, of course. (It sort of goes with my 9th Doctor hair cut - a leftover from my military career.) And then there have been those formal occasions (concerts and such) where I've worn my 1st Doctor outfit. I've gotten compliments on the look of that 1st Doctor's outfit and questions like "Where did you find that great-looking coat?" (And I've had to tell people that a seamstress friend made the coat for me, so it's a one-off - gotten a few disappointed faces over that one.) For less formal occasions, like when I've taken the wife out for dinner, or for our daughter's (a.k.a. The Evil One) college (university) graduation, I've worn my 11th Doctor Series 5 or 6 outfits.

(And for those curious about it, yes; we really named our daughter Nyssa - were expecting a boy and had loads of names picked out, and she turns out to be a girl: mental freeze... no girl names on any list... think fast... still took three days to reach a compromise with Nyssa. I suggested Romanadvoratrelundar - seriously, I did. I told the wife we could just call her "Romana", and it was my way of getting even with all of those people that look at our last name, say how thankful theirs isn't so complicated and sound so relieved when they see our first names; it would serve them right to struggle through that last name when looking at a class roster, and then come to her first name and have their brains melt out through their noses. Still, the wife said "Oh, hell fracking no!" and suggested Nyssa. So, Nyssa it was.)

Now, back to my other 'Who' clothing...

Since starting this (wearing my Doctor clothing outside of conventions) starting back in 2008 when I was still working (before I got hurt), I've only had two people recognize <pun coming> who I was dressed as. One recognized my 9th Doctor outfit; it was at The Evil One's university, and he was one of those... erm... sadly stereotypical "fan boys" you'd expect to find still living in his mother's basement... playing video games during his school breaks: overweight, greasy hair, showing nasty yellow teeth with his crinkle-nosed "fan boy grin" as his eyes followed me as I walked by. <shudder>

The other was a young waiter at a restaurant when the wife and I went out for our anniversary, sometime in 2011 (after I'd gotten hurt and shortly after I retired because of it). I was in my 11th Doctor Series 5 outfit (with the burgundy wavy lines shirt I got from Steve Ricks, thankfully just before retiring). The waiter smiled and gave me a "thumbs up". (A much better reaction.)

And now is the time of year I slip into my 9th Doctor clothing. So yes, there is at least one other person here that does indeed go out in public dressed as the Doctor... though, on the occasions when you do, I never introduce myself as "the Doctor"; if someone tries to make conversation with me, I simply start with, "Hi, I'm Dino." If they comment on my clothing looking like "the Doctor's", I usually look at what I'm wearing and say "Really? Okay... yeah; maybe I do." (To be fair, regarding my 9th Doctor outfit, I've been dressing like that since the 1970s: V-neck jumper, black jeans, and leather jacket, so one could even say that Russell T. Davies stole the look from me. Granted my jacket was a different style, so when I finally needed a new one, I thought turnabout would be fair play and hunted down the "U-boat captain" jacket to replace it... and even, carefully, removed that one button from the belt in the back - it gives me an extra spare in case I lose one: one more than the spare the jacket came with.)

The only other complete Doctor outfit I've got is the 2nd Doctor's, which is one that was put together purposefully with a baggy look to it. My seamstress friend made the mourning frock coat a little oversized - and the pockets are huge pouch pockets, which took hours of researching images to get a good look at to get them as accurate as possible. The shirt ("The Three Doctors" style) is a leftover from my 1860s living history days, but it's got that large floppy collar. The trousers are a size too large, and the little polkadot bow tie is one The Evil One made for me using screen grabs for a pattern reference, and the only way to hold it onto the shirt collar is with a safety pin, just like the original. Needless to say, I keep that one - along with the wig - for the conventions only... though one day I might wear it for something else, but without the wig.

I had a 3rd Doctor outfit, but over the years I outgrew the shirt and moths got to the jacket. I've got what's left of my 4th Doctor outfit: the scarf, which my wife made back in 1983 while my ship was on patrol; the yard is acrylic so it was spared from the moths. And like you, Russell, I do wear it out in the winter when it's cold enough; it's stretched enough that I can even share it with the wife, which people think is the "loveliest thing"... but no one so far has recognized it! (Go figure that one!)

I'd have gotten more Doctor outfits made had I not gotten hurt and been forced to retire and unable to find work, and had my seamstress friend not moved 9 hours away to care for her ailing mother (but family always comes first as I always tell everyone).

So for now my only complete Doctor outfits are 1st, 2nd, 9th (with all jumpers but that elusive green one with the seam running down the front - hunt still on for that one), and 11th (Series 5 burgundy, with both Harris and Donegal Tweed jackets, Series 6, windowpane shirt ("The Doctor's Wife" for one episode it appears in), "close enough" other episode shirts and Shetland Tweed jacket, bow ties (courtesy of Mrs. Bow Tie), and more "close enough" boots. The Tweeds gotten on the cheap from eBay; the shirts again on the cheap from Macy's, and the boots on sale from Sears (when Sears was good). And all but the 2nd Doctor's outfit do see use from time to time, with the 9th Doctor's getting the most use.

So, Russell, to quote The Face of Boe: "You Are Not Alone". :D

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"
galacticprobe

Postby RussellSuthern » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:44 pm

Hey, Dino,

Thanks for acknowledging my existence!!

I guess I look most like number 9, with my crew cut, but I just couldn't bring myself to do anyone else other than my hero, Tom!!

Btw.. If you want to check out someone having a crack at doing all the Doctors, check out this vid I found on Youtube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeScuZ6Nn7Y&t=4s

It's really amazing & deserves as wide an audience as possible!!

Cheers,

Russell
RussellSuthern

Postby galacticprobe » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:53 am

Nice video! She's definitely nailed the 4th and 9th looks. She's even gotten a few of the 10th's looks down. (And I love that bow tie that says "Bow Ties Are Cool" on it! I should get one. Whenever I need to wear a tie for something - other than my military uniform for special occasions, like a friend's retirement - it's always a bow tie.) I also loved the 2nd's Bow Tie in the hair look: never seen it done that way before. That was inventive.

Here's a video - a contest-winning video - from the KTEH "How Who Are You?" Contest. (At least one of the members in that video is one of our members here, maybe more than one?) And for more details on the contest (with a smaller-screened version of the winning vid) have a look at the KTEH Contest Winners, and a bit of behind-the-scenes video (which is Number 1 of 5 in the series, each running between 4 and 12 minutes long. (It's like something I think most of us have only dreamed of... dressing up as the Doctor, getting to play with a full-sized console, and then appearing on television because someone liked what we did!)

Part 1 runs 10 minutes, but does include the winning contest vid, so you can skip ahead on that one from minute 1:17 to minute 4:26 (since the winning vid link is separate) and see the behind-the-scenes stuff, and a discussion on the different sonic screwdrivers.

So, great find on that vid, Russell! It's sure one I've never seen before. (I'm sure there are many more still out there just waiting for someone to find them, and post a link to them somewhere on our boards.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"
galacticprobe

Postby RussellSuthern » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:09 am

Hi Dino,

How's your blizzard?
Hope you are coping OK.

Yes, the "How Who are you?" video series is awesome!

My other fave is the "Hillywood" Dr Who parody, where they do Dr Who in the style of the Rocky Horror Show...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WBqHdI5Bdw

I'm sure tou've seen it, but It's very funny & very clever & well worth another look!

Cheers,

Russell
RussellSuthern

Postby galacticprobe » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:06 am

Russell, I'll tackle the easy one first: Hillywood. YES! I've seen her 'Doctor Who'/"Rocky Horror" video many times, and each time it's just as enjoyable as the last. (Have you seen the "Making Of" docu-vid? It's 45 minutes or so long, but it's very interesting and has some talented people involved to make it happen, like Eric Fox, former contestant on Syfy Channel's 'Face Off' series, and Syfy's 'Foxy & Co.' (which unfortunately never made it passed the pilot) helping to create the TARDIS interior.)

I've also seen her 'Pirates Of The Caribbean' Captain Jack Sparrow take on the song "If I Had You" (referring to Jack's beloved bottle of rum). She's done so much more, and how has The Nerdist backing her. So she's definitely been noticed. Her 'Who' video, however... Priceless!

Now for the not so easy one: the blizzard. (You may have seen this before, but for those who haven't, and since you were kind enough to ask how we were getting on with it...)

We lost power, but as you can tell, power is back on. We ran the heavy duty extension cord to the neighbor's exterior outlet so we could plug in the fridge (he's got a permanent whole-house emergency generator that runs off his natural gas line and lets us run the cord for the fridge). Power didn't completely fail, though; only one phase, leaving us with 52.5 volts on our outlets (should have been 110 volts). So we had dim lights (just the LEDs, and the odd incandescent; compact or regular fluorescents wouldn't light). And the heat wouldn't work because of the half-power; the control panel worked, but nothing else - not enough to ignite the gas, or even open the gas solenoid. So after a day of that the house was colder than the inside of the fridge... low 40sF! Had several oil lamps burning around my Ponytail Palm plant so it wouldn't die because the temp was well below 50​F (the Ponytail's min for life).

Power came back last night. The Ponytail lived. The heat kicked into overdrive (sounded like a C-5 Galaxy in the hallway!), and we had the son and Stormageddon stay over because his power wasn't back yet. (His wife went to her father's since he never lost power... but she regretted it; her old room was like a musty old basement, but she was too stubborn, or proud, or both, to come over here... until breakfast this morning.)

So, we got our blizzard! (And as the saying goes: Be careful of what you wish for! With these freezing temps we've had I wanted to see some snow. Well, boy, did I get it! :roll: :? ) This was a first for us. We've had blizzards before, even total "white-out" conditions, and have never lost power before (only during hurricanes). Power is back to normal now, but we're knee deep in what they said was to be "3 to 5​ inches". Someone underestimated, I think. Forecast is for temps to stay in the 20sF until sometime next week.

Oh, the joys of winter... and the hell it's putting on my joints!
FrozenGhost.jpg
FrozenGhost.jpg (83.38 KiB) Viewed 241 times

Dino.
galacticprobe

Postby RussellSuthern » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:46 pm

Ouch...
Well, I hope things clear up soon.
Ironically I was thinking of you last night because I was watching "Amy's Choice"... which is the Matt Smith episode when the TARDIS is plunging toward a "Cold Star" & the occupants are slowly starting to freeze to death & I thought, "I bet Dino knows how they feel..."

Anyway, keep that Tom Baker scarf wrapped round tight & I hope the thaw comes soon...

Regards,

Russell
RussellSuthern

Postby doctorwholittle » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:25 pm

RussellSuthern wrote:Hi all,

I thought I'f ask a question that has been of interest to me for quite a while & see if it generates any response....

That is- do any of you guys wear your costumes when going normally around town?
When winter hits I have no qualms about wearing my 4th Doctor coat, hat & scarf, although I rarely go as far as wearing the shirt & cravat, I do wear a fairly Dr Who like jumper & cords.
Of course, if you wear a long scarf, people are going to liken you to Dr Who anyway....
I do get a few looks, but any reactions are generally positive.

But what other costumes do people wear? I guess some costumes look less outlandish than others.
Of the old series I suppose you could get away with one or two if you were a bit older & Five & sevens clothes are not too obvious, although a little eccentric.
I think three & six are the ones you'd need real guts to wear- can you imagine popping down to the co op for a pint of milk dressed as Jon or Colin?!

Of the new series, I think all the costumes are actually fairly ok to wear, as they are meant to be more like clothes than costumes, if you see what I mean.

I have seen several long scarves when out & about, as well as one or two Tennant coats & Matt Smith jackets.

So, tell me all guys!
Do you just save the cosplayjust for conventions, or do you get your Dr Who togs on as a regular daily thing?

Enquiring minds wanna know!!! :D

Regards,

Russell
I wear my Eccleston coat as frequently as the weather in Texas allows, as well as my Smith green long coat. The Timberlands and Doc Martens (can't afford the Loakes!) are regular staples in both my civilian and work wardrobes. I've written v-necked jumpers for years, so those aren't exactly a stretch for me.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
doctorwholittle

Return to DOCTOR WHO COSTUMING