Ace Cosplay Patches-Badges Sourcing and Searching

The main forum! Come and discuss, ask for help, offer advice, share stories, and generally do that for which this forum was created!

Re: Ace Cosplay Patches-Badges Sourcing and Searching

Postby Ktbergeron » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:37 pm

I'm definitely interested but I'd love to see one! I also have a cadillac badge that I can talk to you about and try to help you with. The blue cadillac is EXTREMELY rare but I can scan mine. From time to time I see white ones. There appears to be a slight size difference and the license plate is different, but it's close. Some people paint the white one blue.
Ktbergeron

Postby TheOmniDoc » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:39 pm

I've been researching the watch Ace wears in these promotional images, which I originally mistook to be a digital:

It appears to be a knockoff TAG Heuer Formula-1, with an unknown brand on the strap. Authentic TAG Heuer in this colour combination do not seem to have an option for a red face, and there is a slight visible seam on the side of Ace's. Most significantly, the bezel around the watch face is substantially different than the Formula-1.

I found a knockoff brand: "Tackle" with a "Diver" model which nearly fits the bill, save for open gaps where the strap meets the watch body, and an inversion of the black and red:

The bezel shape appears to be correct though, so I shouldn't wonder if there is an older model "Tackle" watch which even more closely resembles the Formula-1, or if an older Tag Heuer had complimentary faces on their red-black models. There may even be another knockoff brand as yet unknown, and it seems unlikely that the BBC would buy a higher-end name-brand watch to accessorize the star of a show which the studio head wanted cancelled.
TheOmniDoc

Postby Ktbergeron » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:13 am

Interesting! :) I've been keeping a side eye out for this as well, and I assumed she always wore the Tintin watch in the series but it turns out I was wrong about that as well. In Remembrance of the Daleks, I just noticed that as is wearing this large band huge face digital watch....I'd love to find out what this is as well!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (173.84 KiB) Viewed 206 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (162.65 KiB) Viewed 206 times
Ktbergeron

Postby TheOmniDoc » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:07 am

Fantastic "Survival" tie for Ace's belt on eBay!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Extra-Long-Burgundy-and-Navy-Striped-Tie/141687752377

The burgundy and navy stripes are thick and uniform, an excellent color match, and descend the correct direction. If I had to be critical, I'd say that the narrow white stripes could be wider, but still a very good piece.
TheOmniDoc

Postby TheOmniDoc » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:31 pm

Lucky find on eBay, last month:

Referencing ktbergeron's images from Dragonfire, you'll find this badge on her right sleeve front of the BSI patch, exactly where the Harley Davidson "Live to Ride" eagle pin appears in later serials. (It may be another pin repurposed from the lapels of Murray the bus driver in Delta and the Bannermen, from just below his "I Hate Work" pin)

It was listed simply as "PINS MOTO AIGLE US LIVE TO RIDE" which was how I stumbled across it, looking for the wings-up eagle pin. It has no identifying marks on the back, unfortunately.
TheOmniDoc

Postby galacticprobe » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:47 pm

This should give everyone a better look at that great eagle pin find:
AcesEaglePin.jpg
AcesEaglePin.jpg (169.07 KiB) Viewed 140 times

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"
galacticprobe

Postby TheOmniDoc » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:57 pm

Found you!

Ace's original (smaller) American flag pin appears to be true vintage, "Vietnam War" era, according to this seller:

The shape, number of stripes, and even the starless wedge of blue to the right of the field look to be the same, each has only eleven stripes, and the relative size is appropriate, given the proportions of the backing.

Behind:

Still no sign of the larger "Survival" flag pin, though the shape is very similar to Union Jack flag pins I've seen, and "Friendship" (flags crossed) pins, though nothing of the right size for Ace.

Speaking with ktbergeron earlier, I pointed out that Ace wears different jackets in the same serials: she clearly had the Paratrooper patch on her left elbow during one scene in "Curse of Fenric" but you can clearly see her wearing the soccer ball patch in its place as she climbs down her rope ladder. And in "Battlefield," while entering the catacombs beneath the lake, the Columbia mission patch is clearly visible, and her American flag pin is so small it's barely noticeable; but when she emerges from the lake with Excalibur, the Columbia patch has been replaced with the Atlantis patch, and the flag pin has gotten much larger -- to the proportion of the one from "Survival," it seems.

Looking forward to a comprehensive analysis of each different configuration!
TheOmniDoc

Postby KieliAnne » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:12 am

Hello all, I am just barely beginning to create my own ACE jacket & am trying not to get overwhelmed with the number of things(pins, patches, etc) I need to find/make for it. I'm trying to figure out what are the most iconic pieces of the jacket to start with as I'd ideally like to wear the costume to an upcoming local convention but I know I won't have every piece by then. Any suggestions? I already have a passable jacket, the roofing, 1987, bell Atlantic, and SBI patches, and a Watchmen Pin. I also have materials (not originally matched) to create my own "Ace" for the back. Any suggestions?
KieliAnne

Postby TheOmniDoc » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:32 pm

Welcome, KieliAnne!

I'm a new member of the group myself, but it's been a terrific and helpful resource in my effort to build Ace's coat.

There are several variations on the jacket, and even within the same episodes ("Battlefield" and "Curse of Fenric" in particular), so your best bet is to watch your favorite Ace episode and use that arrangement. Some folks here even have spare badges and patches they are willing to part with, feel free to ask!

So the first question is, which Ace episode is your favorite?
TheOmniDoc

Previous

Return to DOCTOR WHO COSTUMING