Russell's other costumes

Share info on your costumes outside the Doctor Who Universe!

Russell's other costumes

Postby RussellSuthern » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:09 am

Hi all,

I saw you have an other costume section, so I thought I'd dig out some of my old pics of some of the other characters I've dressed up as...

The 1st one is my old Batman costume. I bought the mask but made everything else myself.
I'm not wearing it in the pic- I kept it displayed on a shop window dummy in the hall... Scared the crap out of new visitors!
Unfortunately the rubber perished in the end & I had to throw it away.
fd2.jpg
fd2.jpg (65.23 KiB) Viewed 185 times

Next up is my take on William Wallace from Braveheart, & yes that is a genuine metal replica of his Claymore used in the film!
fd3.jpg
fd3.jpg (76.04 KiB) Viewed 185 times

Finally, this is me dressed as the Cockney Hitcher from the British comedy, "The Mighty Boosh."
If you've not seen it I do recommend you give it a try.
It's very eccentric, off the wall & very British!
fd4.jpg
fd4.jpg (101.91 KiB) Viewed 185 times

That's all for now.
Hope you like the pics & if you have any questions, please do ask!!

Best regards,

Russell
RussellSuthern

Re: Russell's other costumes

Postby galacticprobe » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:36 am

Great costumes, Russell! Sorry to hear about the demise of the Batman costume, though. My son would have done anything to have one like that. He's the ultimate Batman fan. (He wore Batman emblem - yellow oval with the black bat - cufflinks with his wedding tux, and the "Groom" on his wedding cake was, you guessed it, a Batman figure looking just like the one in your photo... only smaller, of course ;) . His wife was fine with it because the "Bride" on the cake was a little T-Rex with a nice pink bow on it because she loves T-Rexes.)

Yes; I have a strange family.

And I must admit to having a bit of "Sword Envy" with that Claymore! I have one broadsword - single-hand - and she's held up well since the mid 1990s when I got her, but I wouldn't want to challenge a Claymore like that with her. (I'm never that lucky!)

I've heard about The Mighty Boosh and seen the name of the show in many places, but have never gotten to watch it. (I'm on the wrong side of the pond.) But now that the Roku has BritBox available, and 'The Mighty Boosh' is one of the shows on it, we'll certainly be checking that one out.

Great costumes all round! Amazing work, Russell!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"
galacticprobe

Postby RussellSuthern » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:01 pm

Hey Dino,

Love the Batman themed wedding idea, you gotta love a themed wedding!

I would certainly recommend watching "The Mighty Boosh," although you must let me know what you think when you've tried it.

As for the sword envy, I'm not sure I should mention the rest of my collection....
As part of my martial arts I teach weapons & this led me to collect swords,amongst other medieval weapons.

Off the top of my head I have....

3 Chinese broadswords,
2 Chinese straight swords
4 Katana (2 with "live" blades.)

Among my movie replicas are:

Conan's sword
Anduril from Lord of the Rings.
The Highlander ivory handled Katana
Braveheart's Claymore
The Bride's Hittori Hanzo Katana from Kill Bill
Not to mention Luke Skywalker's Lightsaber from a New Hope

The pride & joy of my collection is a genuine Ching (possibly Ming) Dynasty foot soldiers broadsword,worth over £1,000!!

Visitors often look a bit worried when they 1st come round to the house. I have to convince them that I'm not some kind of psycho!!

If you want me to post some photos just let me know.

Cheers,

Russell.
RussellSuthern

Postby galacticprobe » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:06 am

Okay... now you've just taken Sword Envy to a new level, especially with the Highlander Katana and the Ching/Ming Dynasty broadsword! :shock:

For movie replicas, I always wanted "Excaliber" from the movie of the same name, but never saw any that actually looked like the one used in the film. And then Arthur's sword from Sean Connery's "First Knight". I just like the look of both of them, and yet, I've never met any swordsmith or dealer that's sold those replicas. (They sell Klingon Bat'leths, but not Excalibers or the "First Knight" sword.)

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing a few photos of your treasures!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"
galacticprobe

Postby RussellSuthern » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:22 am

Okay, Dino,

Here's some of my swords for you....
I have stuck with mostly my movie replicas, as at least these can be part of a costume, I don't want to stray too far off-topic.
(Not sure how strict this site is, but I'm sure you'll give me a nudge if I drift too far!)

Any how, 1st one up is my Braveheart Claymore & Conan sword. The Conan sword is not the moist accurate, but at some stage I intend to paint the hilt bronze & wrap the handle with some leather to improve it a bit.

s1.jpg
s1.jpg (121.45 KiB) Viewed 153 times

Next up is the Hittori Hanzo from Kill Bill & the Highlander Katana...

s2.jpg
s2.jpg (146.49 KiB) Viewed 153 times

This is Anduril from Lord Of The Rings...

s3.jpg
s3.jpg (123.3 KiB) Viewed 153 times

Green Destiny from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon...

s4.jpg
s4.jpg (121.02 KiB) Viewed 153 times

Luke's Lightsaber from A New Hope (& don't anybody suggest It's not a sword...)

s5.jpg
s5.jpg (116.5 KiB) Viewed 153 times

Now for some others from my collection...

A Daisho..

s6.jpg
s6.jpg (59.94 KiB) Viewed 153 times

A beautiful Katana set, complete with spare Tsubas (guards), a cleaning kit & silk carrying bag...

s7.jpg
s7.jpg (76.81 KiB) Viewed 153 times

And some other bits you might find interesting...

s8.jpg
s8.jpg (184.87 KiB) Viewed 153 times

Hope you like!!

Regards,

Russell
RussellSuthern

Postby galacticprobe » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:36 pm

Yup... you have certainly taken my Sword Envy to a whole new level!

Those are some beautiful blades you've got there, Russell. (Considering their number, and how well you know how to use them because of your Martial Arts background, to quote Dr. "Bones" McCoy from "ST: Into Darkness" - "...remind me never to piss you off." :D )

Thank you for sharing those photos, Russell! That collection is certainly impressive as well as beautiful. (And considering this is the "Other Costuming" Section, I don't think we're strayed off-topic yet. "Other Costuming" does give a wide berth. Technically, a pencil sticking out of each nostril could count as a "Senator John 'Bluto' Blutarsky" costume from John Belushi's character in "National Lampoon's Animal House"... but let's not take it quite that far into left field... even though it looks like I've just done that already. RETCON! ;) )

Dino.
galacticprobe

Return to OTHER COSTUMING