2012 PHOTO SHOOT AND MEET-UPS

Herein find contained everything pertaining to Dragon*Con, the world's biggest volunteer-run convention! Look here for news about the parade, dinner, photo and video shoots, meet-ups, and anything else we happen to come up with.

2012 PHOTO SHOOT AND MEET-UPS

Postby loomborn » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:02 pm

Last but not least, here's the place to discuss this year's photo shoot, video shoot, and other gatherings!

THE ANNUAL PHOTO SHOOT: For new members who may not know, every year immediately following the parade we hold THE big Doctor Who photo shoot. It's great fun, we come up with some incredible shots, and we carry on until the last person decides they're all photoed out. We also make sure to get one huge, panoramic group shot to commemorate the year.

Last year we organized the photo shoot in a new way: we started out in a new place, the back steps of Hilton, where the privacy and the bleacher-like configuration made it perfect for our largest photos, like those of the entire group. After that we adjourned to the tenth floor of the Marriott which has a large open space for slightly smaller pics. This arrangement worked well last year, so we'll be doing it that way again this time! At this point in the paragraph I'm sure many of you are groaning audibly in anticipation of once again enduring the baking sun that haunted us during the first portion of last year's shoot. Worry not! As you probably know, there is an identical set of stairs on the side of the hallway opposite where we were, only at that time of the morning the building casts a natural shadow over them. We just didn't know that last year. We'll use the shaded ones this time! :D

I would like to dicuss the possibility of having water available for everyone post-parade, should the convention run out again as it did last year. If anyone has any thoughts on this, please post them!

THE FOURTH ANNUAL VIDEO SHOOT: Every year we come up with some deeply goofy and hilarious sketches that, in order for the universe to continue functioning properly, must be committed to film. We have a bunch left over from past years, and I have no doubt some amazing new ones will be conceived in the coming weeks. So head on over to the "Video Ideas" thread and help us concoct epic silliness!

In past years we've shot the videos immediately after the photos in the same location on the Marriott's tenth floor. Ideally, I'd like to start looking for a quieter place so we could capture clearer audio. This may not pan out for this year, but again, we'd love to hear people's suggestions.

THE SPECTACULAR ANNUAL GROUP DINNER: A great time every year, this is a chance for us all to get together at a restaurant within walking distance of the Con hotels for a nice, relaxed meal, and get to know everybody and generally hang out and have fun. Specifically fun without being required to wear a frock coat or constricting Victorian dress. This event has its own thread, so head on over there now! Well, not right now; read the next bit first, then go.

SMALLER MEET-UPS: As there will be well over a hundred Prydonians at the Con, the parade, dinner, and photo/video shoots are the only official gatherings because trying to wrangle that many people in one place can be somewhat tricky! There are, though, always smaller gatherings throughout the weekend. In years past we've done viewing parties, gatherings for coffee, and so on. If you have ideas for anything, post 'em here!

-Andy
Group Owner
loomborn
Site Admin

Re: 2012 PHOTO SHOOT AND MEET-UPS

Postby deidrekim » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:19 pm

Andy, you might want to talk to the Hilton in advance, because another costuming group was using the shadowed stairs around the same time the PA was using the baking hot stairs. :) Not sure if there are reservations or what, though.
Wholanta May 5-7, 2017
http://www.wholanta.com

Clothes make a statement. Costumes tell a story. ~ Mason Cooley
Join http://dw-cosplay.livejournal.com/profile !
deidrekim

Postby Penwiper » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:36 am

I believe one of the huge superhero groups used the shady steps last year. Maybe we could talk to their organizer ahead of time and arrange a swap this year, since we had the hot steps last year?
Penwiper
Site Admin

Postby Pirogoeth » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:33 am

I know other groups have managed to have guests stop by their massive photoshoots (like Stan Lee stopping by the Marvel). Does anyone think it's possible to get any DW/Torchwood guests to stop by?
~Courtney

I'm reversing it, you're reversing it back again. We're confusing the polarity.
Pirogoeth

Postby loomborn » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:19 pm

There are no reservations when it comes to the steps, it's just a matter of getting there. I did indeed speak to the other group (the Green Lantern Corps)'s organizer about it last year, a very nice fellow, and we decided that whoever got to the space first would be happy to share it with the other group. Our use of the Hot Steps last year was just a result of our being new to the venue and not knowing any better! Assuming they're planning to use the space at that time again this year, I'll get in touch with them and work it out beforehand. :) So no worries on that score.

-A
loomborn
Site Admin

Postby Cartoonmatrix63 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:18 pm

We are bringing a current series TARDIS and as long as we have help really later Friday night/really early Saturday morning, we can have it on the tenth floor for photos :)
Cartoonmatrix63

Postby ddelaney103 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:45 pm

The Hot Steps should be reserved for the Spartans anyway...
Dan Delaney
"The Brig"
ddelaney103

Postby loomborn » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:07 am

Cartoonmatrix63 wrote:We are bringing a current series TARDIS and as long as we have help really later Friday night/really early Saturday morning, we can have it on the tenth floor for photos :)

It's gonna be done? Woo-hoo! That is great news! Very kind of you guys to not only allow use of it, but to be willing to set it up in our photo place. I'm sure we can find helpers!

-A
loomborn
Site Admin

Postby deidrekim » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:18 am

Cartoonmatrix63 wrote:We are bringing a current series TARDIS and as long as we have help really later Friday night/really early Saturday morning, we can have it on the tenth floor for photos :)

You folks are more than awesome! :)

The Stargate folks have a professional photographer coming in on Saturday night, and had invited us DW'verse folks to be there. If you folks can bring the Tardis, I can get with them, and also see about getting some sort of starry background (to go behind the TARDIS), this would make a great photoshoot. :)
Wholanta May 5-7, 2017
http://www.wholanta.com

Clothes make a statement. Costumes tell a story. ~ Mason Cooley
Join http://dw-cosplay.livejournal.com/profile !
deidrekim

Postby Cartoonmatrix63 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:12 am

loomborn wrote:

It's gonna be done? Woo-hoo! That is great news! Very kind of you guys to not only allow use of it, but to be willing to set it up in our photo place. I'm sure we can find helpers!

-A

It's going to be done if he doesn't sleep for a month. He just got his near SA lock this week so he is motivated :) We have all the wood materials now. He hopes to be to paint by the end of July at the latest.
He will be working on it every weekend until D*Con so if anyone is close enough to Macon, GA and wants to help, let us know. We pay in pizza, beer and other drinks :)
Cartoonmatrix63

Next

Return to DRAGON*CON 2017