2017 PHOTO SHOOT AND MEET-UPS

Herein find contained everything pertaining to Dragon*Con, the world's biggest volunteer-run convention! Look here for news about the parade, dinner, photo and video shoots, meet-ups, and anything else we happen to come up with.

2017 PHOTO SHOOT AND MEET-UPS

Postby loomborn » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:50 pm

IMPORTANT: Please remember to check the "Important Information: Dragon*Con 2016" thread (which will be in the "Important Announcements" subforum at the very top of the main page) for the most up-to-date information for all group events in one easy location. We update that thread every time there's a change, so if you're just looking for the info with no chat, check there first and often.

This is the place to discuss this year's photo shoot, video shoot, and other gatherings.

THE ANNUAL PHOTO SHOOT: Every year we host the convention's big Doctor Who photo shoot. It's great fun and we carry on until the last person decides they're all photoed out!

Time: Directly after the parade on Saturday morning, around 11:15.

THE VIDEO SHOOT: This is an old Academy tradition that we'd like to bring back. In the past we've come up with some deeply goofy sketches which, for the sake of intertemporal comedy, had to be committed to film. In order to make it happen again, we'd need a camera, a way to capture sound, and a couple of volunteers, so we're mentioning it here to gauge interest. If you want to help make it happen, let us know! In the meantime, for now, take a look at the "Video Ideas" thread to see what we've planned in the past!

SMALLER MEET-UPS: There will be a couple hundred Prydonians at the Con looking to hang out. The parade, dinner, and shoot are the biggies, but in years past there have been viewing parties, gaming, gatherings for coffee, and so on. If you want to suggest or host something, post about it here!

-The PA Staff

Also Follow us on Twitter @PrydonAcademy and on FB at https://www.facebook.com/groups/PrydonAcademy for updates and information throughout the summer!
loomborn
Site Admin

Re: 2017 PHOTO SHOOT AND MEET-UPS

Postby colley » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:45 pm

LET'S DO THIS
I draw stuff! http://colley.deviantart.com and http://www.furaffinity.net/user/colley
Sixth Doctor, Prydon Academy video guy, photo shoot director, and Academy Megaphone.
colley

Postby bdoob » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:57 pm

Should we meet for in-costume Doctor Who Trivial Pursuit? :)
bdoob

Postby Twilight Trekker » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:16 pm

Count us in! Sounds like great fun. Paul and Connie Benham
Twilight Trekker

Postby sparky042 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:30 am

Count me in - Michael Cowart
sparky042

Postby faegirl31 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:06 pm

Right on!
faegirl31

Postby WAnglais1 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:50 pm

Sure.
WAnglais1

Postby loomborn » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:27 pm

Glad to hear it! Just to be clear, though, there's no need to sign up for the photo shoot. Just show up!

-A
loomborn
Site Admin

Re: 2017 PHOTO SHOOT

Postby Twilight Trekker » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:54 am

My photos from last year were not that great I had to do a lot of photo shop work on them to salvage just a few of them. Sadly I'm short and I have a crappy phone camera. But this year I am still short and still have a crappy phone camera that can't zoom but:
1. Could we ask that no one sits on the steps watching while photos are being staged and taken?
2. Can we ask the "real photographers" with the "great cameras" to back up a little after they get their shots so that those of us with phones could get shots without their heads being in the way.
3. It would also be really nice if everyone would post their Prydon Academy photos somewhere and post links to their locations here so everyone can see them.

Personal request - if you have an "awesome camera" and go to a Doctor Who panel could you please take some good photos and share them here. Short people with phones that can't zoom take crappy panel photos. :(

Thank you for reading :)
Twilight Trekker

Postby galacticprobe » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:38 pm

You've got some excellent suggestions/requests, Trekker! My only concern is with Number 3. Linking photos or posting links to photos on a hosting site is fine, but if that site does down, or changes/updates its software at all and gets one bit or byte out of place you can (and we have) ended up with dead links. Click on one and get an "Image not found" or that infamous "Error 404: Page not found", and then all of those great photos are lost.

That's why I encourage people to post their photos directly on PA. This way we're not dependent on a photo hosting site for our great photos. People can still post their photos on hosting sites so they can share them with others outside of PA, but it would be a good idea to post the photos here directly as well. This way of the hosting site does crash, go bust, or make changes to their software that affects the links (changes in URLs and such), we've still got the photos here for as long as PA is around.

I've been to too many forums where people only linked to their photos on hosting sites, and one day all of those photos had nothing but little blue boxes with a white ? inside them, and any links posted were dead links (and with many of them not even the Wayback Machine Internet Archive site had snaps of those links, and those that did, none of the photos were there, only the texts). All photos were gone. I'd hate to see that happen here, especially since I live vicariously through others' photos while I wait for what seems like forever for my back to cooperate and let me join in on some of the fun! :)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"
galacticprobe

Next

Return to DRAGON*CON 2017