The Dragon*Con Video Ideas thread

Herein find contained everything pertaining to Dragon*Con, the world's biggest volunteer-run convention! Look here for news about the parade, dinner, photo and video shoots, meet-ups, and anything else we happen to come up with.

The Dragon*Con Video Ideas thread

Postby colley » Sun May 10, 2009 2:36 pm

OK, taking a small break from working on U.A. 6 (Since I've hit a brickwall in finding the right wig for it. *Sigh*)

I figured with all the ideas bouncing in my head for videos to shoot at Dragon*Con this year, and others that have been tossed my way, might as well and start a thread so there's one spot everyone can pitch in thoughts and their own ideas so we might plan stuff out!
So let's hop to!

Video idea 1: 6-to-7 Regeneration gag
Premise: This would involve one of our villian cosplayers slamming me head first into something (I'm a licensed pro-wrestler, I can take it.), me dropping out of frame, and then Andy (In my 6 coat) popping back up after a moment or two looking not so happy.
What we'd need: Andy, myself, a villian (The Master or Rani would work best here I think, but any villian would work), and something to be slammed against.

Video idea 2: TARDIS Clown Car
Premise: TARDIS door opens, and one by one people begin leaving it. So.. many... people.... (Was thrown at me as a joke if we had a TARDIS prop for the con, which looks like we might have now. 8-) )
What we'd need: a TARDIS (obviously), 10 people or more, a place to set up the camera so it won't move the entire shoot, and time. I say time because this would be made up of multiple cuts, each shot being just a brief clip of someone stepping out of the TARDIS, which would first involve having them step inside it. So like I said, time to shoot it.

Video idea 3: The Team-up Walk.
Premise: If you're not familiar with this concept, 0:17-0:24 of this video. Essentially a long shot, in slow motion, of the combined hero forces (Sometimes with rapid fire close-ups of those involved, like in the first 6 secodns here.) walking toward the enemy to kick their butt. The video would be that, but with the 10 Doctors. Probably have 1 or 10 step forward at the end and say, "Hello, we're The Doctor, and (Insert awesome line implying The Doctor will win here)"
What we'd need: All 10 Doctors (Or as many out of the 10 as we could), a place to shoot it, and a bit of that wonderful time thing. :)

Video idea 4: Fake Next Time trailer.
Premise: Create a "Next time..." trailer for a fake Multi-doctor story. Working title: UnConventional Means (haha, punnage)
Premise being that the Multiverses are merging, bringing all sorts of continuities together that should not be. Can be done as either the basic 30 second episode trailer, or possibly a longer 1-3 minute one if the footage permits.
What we'd need: Oh geez, where to start. TIME, time, and more time to get stuff shot. Cooperation from other cosplay groups (I had the idea of a military group searching the halls, guns raised. Either the Cobra Vipers or SW Stormtroopers first came to mind). Preferably THE WALK from Video idea 3, some quick lines for voice overs, and a storyboard for what shots would be needed.

So that's what I got. Any other ideas out there?
I draw stuff! http://colley.deviantart.com and http://www.furaffinity.net/user/colley
Sixth Doctor, Prydon Academy video guy, photo shoot director, and Academy Megaphone.
colley

Re: The Dragon*Con Video Ideas thread

Postby Trill » Sun May 10, 2009 6:18 pm

All great ideas, I love the concept of the Walk of Heroes! The classic slow motion strut... then someone yells "Run!" and they all take off in different directions. ;)
The triumph of intellect and romance over brute force and cynicism.
Trill

Postby DrWhoJr » Sun May 10, 2009 7:02 pm

Trill wrote:All great ideas, I love the concept of the Walk of Heroes! The classic slow motion strut... then someone yells "Run!" and they all take off in different directions. ;)

That is a brilliant idea. Maybe add a little slapstick by having some of them bumping into each other.

I have two ideas.

1) Have some of the Doctors and companions show up, except #4, at he Tardis at the same time and start arguing about whose Tardis it is. Then have #4 pop out of the Tardis and yell "Will you keep it down?! I am trying to teach Leela some Venusian foreplay." Then have a female hand reach out and pull him back into the Tardis. After that we could have a little slapstick by having Doctors 1-3 trying to beat each other into the Tardis. Then have a companion ask Doctors 5-10 why they aren't trying to get in and have them say "Been there. Done that."

2) I brought this one up earlier. Remember the tv show Cops? Well we could do ConCops. Have it start with a security guard patrolling the hotel lobby while talking to the camera about how things can get out of hand at a con. Then have someone come up and start screaming about someone playing with himself in the game room. Have the camera person follow them to game room and then pan to a table with the Doctors playing a game together.
There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.
DrWhoJr

Postby loomborn » Mon May 11, 2009 1:12 am

Excellent, I meant to start this thread weeks ago! You rock, Trey.

I haven't gotten to read this thoroughly yet (except as far as seeing that you're a licensed pro-wrestler. I don't know how to respond to that! How do you get licensed?!), but I wanted to mention one video before I collapse into bed...

We've definitely gotta do a "Hello from Gallifrey!" for Shannon (aka FromGallifrey) to send to her brother who's over in Iraq!

-A
loomborn
Site Admin

Postby colley » Mon May 11, 2009 7:48 am

loomborn wrote:Excellent, I meant to start this thread weeks ago! You rock, Trey.

I haven't gotten to read this thoroughly yet (except as far as seeing that you're a licensed pro-wrestler. I don't know how to respond to that! How do you get licensed?!), but I wanted to mention one video before I collapse into bed...

We've definitely gotta do a "Hello from Gallifrey!" for Shannon (aka FromGallifrey) to send to her brother who's over in Iraq!

-A

I got licensed by training at Old School Wrestling under some of the veteran wrestlers, and then applied for one with the KY State Athletic commission. Kentucky is like.. 1 of maybe 3 states that requires a license to do it (Mooooooneeeeeeey).

And awesome. We can do Hello from Gallifrey for sure! :D
I draw stuff! http://colley.deviantart.com and http://www.furaffinity.net/user/colley
Sixth Doctor, Prydon Academy video guy, photo shoot director, and Academy Megaphone.
colley

Postby DrWhoJr » Mon May 11, 2009 5:23 pm

Here is another idea that came to me. If we could get a Mr. Spock we could have battle of the neck pinch between him and the third Doctor. It came to me when I was having a discussion with some people after seeing the latest Star Trek movie.
DrWhoJr

Postby ImpyThumbWars » Mon May 11, 2009 6:06 pm

i think we should add a mel to the regeneration gag. have her run in afterwards and freak out at Andy.

i was actually looking at some other skits and came across: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhfDGEOyX4E
what doctor doesn't love the Loin King? :lol:
I love biting; it's just like kissing, except there's a winner.
ImpyThumbWars

Postby DrWhoJr » Mon May 11, 2009 9:21 pm

A music video like that would be awesome. But what song to use? Timewarp pops to mind. We could have the Brigadier be the guy with no neck. We could have the Doctor do Riff Raffs vocals and switch doctors through out the video.
DrWhoJr

Postby colley » Mon May 11, 2009 9:53 pm

I thought I'd put up a few scene ideas for the fake trailer video concept.

*SURROUNDED
-I actually got this idea last year while setting up for the parade. The Star Wars costumers had a HUUUUUUUUUGE area last year at the starting point. The idea would be to put 2-3 Doctor/Companions in the middle, circled by armed Stormtroopers on all sides. Would be a quick wide shot of the group trying to figure some way out as the troopers move in on them, guns raised.

*COMBAT
-3 vs. Klingons in Batliff (That spelled right?) FIGHT.

*HALLWAY
-Mentioned this one before, but either a group of Cobra Vipers (Preferred) or Stormtroopers, guns raised, making a sweep through a small corridor/hallway.

*THE WALK
-Option 1: Same setup as the videos I linked to. Open space big enough to shoot all 10 Doctors walking side by side. In the finished video, it would be slow motion, and probably cut to a close-up of each Doctor before switching to a scene of them "In Action" from during the story, and then moving on to the next in line.
Possible actions for those scenes include:
1-Possibly looking a bit bewildered or lost, and then realizing where he's supposed to go.
2-Playing the recorder, natch.
3-Venusian Akido moment (Don't kill me if I used the wrong words -_-)
4-Goofing off, hat over face, offering Jelly Babies
5- "Ah, we go this way! *Pause... goes the opposite way*"
6-If I had my way, arguing with a Mr. Spock.
7-Running away with Ace.
8-Sonic Screwdriving something OR recreating that one shot of his face they use IN EVERYTHING.
9-Crossing his arms and looking completely unhappy with the events going on around him.
10-Stepping in front of the group, and doing the "Hello, we're The Doctor..." line.

-Option 2: Barring a big enough open space to do THE WALK, option 2 would involve the front of a large, wide starcase. Pretty sure there's a spot right next to one of the hotels (With stone lions) that would work for this. 10 tumbles into camera from off screen, thrown by some unseen enemy. He pushes up, spouting off some dialogue along the lines of not being alone, or something aesome, and as he gets back to his feet, the camera tilts up to show the other Doctors approach the edge of the stairs, ready to save the day.

There's more in my head, but they'll come later. Also open to suggestions on these X3
colley

Postby loomborn » Mon May 11, 2009 11:23 pm

Well, that's just neat. You do many surprising things, sir! LOL...

Anyway, I love these...

I'm in love with the The Walk. I think we shoud do several versions of it, frankly! A couple of serious versions (one that starts with just one Doctor in the middle, and the others fall in step one at a time), a couple that end comedically (like the idea where everyone scatters at the end), one of all the companions (which would be a great riff on the regular walk... the camera could keep pulling back... and back... and back... )... And, ohhhh, the slow motion we shall use...

-A
loomborn
Site Admin

Next

Return to DRAGON*CON 2017