2017 PHOTO SHOOT AND MEET-UPS

Herein find contained everything pertaining to Dragon*Con, the world's biggest volunteer-run convention! Look here for news about the parade, dinner, photo and video shoots, meet-ups, and anything else we happen to come up with.

Re: 2017 PHOTO SHOOT AND MEET-UPS

Postby NamelessBaroness » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:00 am

TARDIS clown car sounds like fun to me!
A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting. ~Three

Good grief.... It's a Stegosaurus! ~Also Three
NamelessBaroness

Postby Doctor 7 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:39 pm

That sounds like a hilariously fun idea, I'm certainly interested.
Doctor 7

Postby Alyssa » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:16 pm

I will definitely be joining, and would love to be part of the clown car video!
Alyssa

Postby loomborn » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:07 pm

A quick update on the clown car... The portable TARDIS I had hoped would be able to join us for the photo shoot won't be making it to the Con this year, so things are slightly more complicated. Chris and Hannah's fantastic TARDIS will be available to us, however, but it will be set up on the lobby floor of the Hilton, and we don't yet know what traffic patterns will be like around it. So, for now the plan is to assume we're going forward with the video, and we'll confirm one way or the other once we see the box's position on Friday!

-A
loomborn
Site Admin

Postby ShadowRAM » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:47 pm

Hopefully it is good news... this sounds awesome! :)
ShadowRAM

Postby loomborn » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:52 pm

Hey, folks!

Just a quick update on what we'll do in case of rain. If it rains on us during the shoot, we'll take the shoot indoors. The Hilton has open space every few floors, so we'll pick one of those for picture-taking.

-Andy
loomborn
Site Admin

Postby Twilight Trekker » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:11 pm

galacticprobe wrote:You've got some excellent suggestions/requests, Trekker! My only concern is with Number 3. Linking photos or posting links to photos on a hosting site is fine, but if that site does down, or changes/updates its software at all and gets one bit or byte out of place you can (and we have) ended up with dead links. Click on one and get an "Image not found" or that infamous "Error 404: Page not found", and then all of those great photos are lost.

That's why I encourage people to post their photos directly on PA. This way we're not dependent on a photo hosting site for our great photos. People can still post their photos on hosting sites so they can share them with others outside of PA, but it would be a good idea to post the photos here directly as well. This way of the hosting site does crash, go bust, or make changes to their software that affects the links (changes in URLs and such), we've still got the photos here for as long as PA is around.

I've been to too many forums where people only linked to their photos on hosting sites, and one day all of those photos had nothing but little blue boxes with a white ? inside them, and any links posted were dead links (and with many of them not even the Wayback Machine Internet Archive site had snaps of those links, and those that did, none of the photos were there, only the texts). All photos were gone. I'd hate to see that happen here, especially since I live vicariously through others' photos while I wait for what seems like forever for my back to cooperate and let me join in on some of the fun! :)

Dino.

Hi Dino, thanks for the heads up. Could you tell me how to post a batch of photos on this site without clogging it up. We brought a little camera with us and have actually got a few nice panel shots that we would like to share. No parade photos and sadly the ones I took at the photo shoot were not that great. I will have to work on them but it will be easier this year because I don't have to do any photo shopping. Everyone was so nice about not blocking the shots this year so I know that there will be lots of goods photos to share. Thanks to everyone for your kindness. I was a little disappointed that we did not do the T.A.R.D.I.S. booth video that Andy was talking about doing. There was a lot of people in a line in front of the T.A.R.D.I.S. that Andy was talking about. I guess it was just not possible in the situation and time allotted. It would have been fun though.
Twilight Trekker

Postby galacticprobe » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:35 pm

Hey, Connie,

Oddly enough, you're not the first one to ask me this. I know it took me a while to figure it out when I first joined back in 2013, so don't feel too bad about needing a tutorial. (I wish someone had given me one when I first tried posting an image!) Here's what I sent to a few people for posting images directly on PA. (I may try to find a place on the Forum where this could be turned into a "sticky" post so it's always at the top and anyone can find it.)

To post an image directly onto the Forum, rather than a photo that's linked from hosting site (which can go down, or change something in their code, etc., leaving us with a dead link and no photo), when you're posting a reply or starting a new thread, once you've opened the Comments window and are typing away and are ready to insert an image into your post:
1) Click on the "Upload attachment" button below the Comments window (lower left corner);
2) Click the "Choose File" button and you'll get a pop-up window showing the files and folders on your computer (like when you're attaching something to an e-mail);
3) Select the image you want to post from your computer's files to highlight it, then click "Choose" once it's highlighted (double-clicking on the image will do the same thing); you'll see your file's name just to the right of the "Choose File" button;
4) Click the "Add the file" button just to the right of your file's name;
5) At first, you won't see the "[imageid=blah-blah]" brackets in your post; to change that just click on the "Place inline" button under the image name. This makes that "imageid" thingy visible at the beginning of your post. Every new image you add this way will always appear at the beginning of the post. So...
6) Highlight that "imageid" bracket line and drag it to where you want it to be in your post - just like you would to relocate a sentence or anything else within your posts;
7) Then when you click on the "Preview" button, you'll see your image in the location where you want it; (NOTE: You'll only see your image in Preview; if you try to use the "Save draft" button, the software will only save your text - it will not save your image(s), so keep that in mind when making a post, especially if it's a long post and going to take some time to write it.);
8) Larger images will require you to scroll around to see the whole thing - you can right-click on the image and select "Open Image in New Window" to see the whole thing, but in your post people will have to scroll around to see it all - unless they also use the right-click/New Window method;
9) Then when you're done writing your post, just click the "Submit" button and your post will go through with all the images in it, and it should look just like it did in "Preview".

That's pretty much it. I know it looks like a lot, but once you do it a couple of times it will become second nature and you'll be posting images without even thinking about the steps.

I hope this helps. I think this will be of help to others - veteran members as well as newbies - so I'll definitely try to make it a "Sticky Post" so it will always be the first topic in one of the Sections, like the IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENTS Section since that Section's description says "If there's anything posted here, it's something to do with the forum or the site which is both vitally important and really interesting!". (That actually sounds like the perfect place to put this. Maybe I should just, as God poking out from the clouds in "Monty Python And The Holy Grail" said: "Get on with it!" :D )

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"
galacticprobe

Postby Twilight Trekker » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:53 am

Ok, so I am finally working on my DragonCon Photos for 2017 (I know it's late but I have been busy) and now I need to know where and how to access the Prydon Academy Flicker site to post photos.

Otherwise I will have mine in an Album on my Facebook page in a week or so. Has anyone one found any from the parade or the Doctor Who Ball.
Twilight Trekker

Postby galacticprobe » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:44 pm

Twilight Trekker wrote:Ok, so I am finally working on my DragonCon Photos for 2017 (I know it's late but I have been busy) and now I need to know where and how to access the Prydon Academy Flicker site to post photos.

Hey, Trekker! You can find the Prydon Academy Flickr site here: Prydon Academy Photo Gallery. (You can bookmark the actual URL once you get there. And at this time I would like to extend many thanks to Courtney (Pirogoeth) for posting that link in another thread a few months back.)

Don't feel bad about missing that post, Trekker; while I remember seeing it, I didn't remember where to find it and had to do some searching for it so I could get the URL for you.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"
galacticprobe

Previous

Return to DRAGON*CON 2017