TARDIS Parade Float at DC 2017: The Return

Herein find contained everything pertaining to Dragon*Con, the world's biggest volunteer-run convention! Look here for news about the parade, dinner, photo and video shoots, meet-ups, and anything else we happen to come up with.

TARDIS Parade Float at DC 2017: The Return

Postby loomborn » Mon May 15, 2017 7:56 am

Hey Prydonians,

Let us talk about our glorious TARDIS float for the DragonCon parade.

It made its debut appearance three years ago, and since then it's been awaiting some repairs so it can roll out again. Currently it's warehoused just outside of Atlanta. A very generous professional set-builder has volunteered her time and expertise to fix it up for us. Unfortunately, she's had a lot happen in her life (some good, like Hollywood coming to Atlanta, and some bad, including surgeries and the passing of close family), and she hasn't had an opening in her schedule that would allow her to tackle it.

What she CAN do, though, is be the foreman for a team of volunteers. Rather than wait another year for her schedule to clear up, if we can get a crew of folks willing to come out to where it's housed and do the work under her guidance, we can have it back in the parade THIS year.

I know it's hard to organize a lot of adults with busy schedules, believe me. So it comes down to this: we can have the float ready, but only if we can get the hands on deck.

What do you say, Prydonians?
loomborn
Site Admin

Re: TARDIS Parade Float - DC 2017

Postby Twilight Trekker » Mon May 29, 2017 12:28 pm

We (Paul & Connie Benham) would like to help up to July 23ish.
We live in Lawrenceville GA and have worked on set builds for our church, 12 Stone, for their "At the Movies" series every year.
Please let us know place, times and where to park.
Here is 1 of the sets we worked on. We are are good at following directions.
Star Wars
IMG_5494 r.jpg
IMG_5494 r.jpg (55.02 KiB) Viewed 106 times

build 15 r.jpg
build 15 r.jpg (13.73 KiB) Viewed 106 times

20160915_145925 r.jpg
20160915_145925 r.jpg (49.46 KiB) Viewed 106 times

IMG_6199 rc.jpg
IMG_6199 rc.jpg (119.4 KiB) Viewed 138 times
Last edited by Twilight Trekker on Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:41 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Twilight Trekker

Postby galacticprobe » Mon May 29, 2017 11:31 pm

Oh, my fracking Glob! :shock: That's some amazing work, Trekker! If I had to pick a favorite photo, I'd go with the photo of the lobby, where everyone's attention seems to be turned to that Imperial Walker towering in the background. The perspective is perfect! It looks like that's a full-size walker in the distance, and everyone is saying "Oh, that can't be right! Should we run before it gets any closer?"

It's all brilliant! Absolutely brilliant!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"
galacticprobe

Postby Twilight Trekker » Wed May 31, 2017 3:44 pm

I do not want to clog up this post so I answered you on viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2046. "This and That - Twilight Trekker" Was that a Pinky and the Brain reference?
Twilight Trekker

Re: TARDIS Parade Float at DC 2017: The Return

Postby loomborn » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:33 pm

We may not have gotten a lot of replies here, but we got plenty over at the Facebook group... so we've decided:

We're doing this. The float returns!

We'll be posting info on the work days soon, as well as another big announcement! Watch this space.

-Andy
loomborn
Site Admin

Postby loomborn » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:34 pm

Twilight Trekker wrote:Paul and I would like to help up to July 23ish. We live in Lawrenceville GA and have worked on set builds for our church, 12 Stone, for their "At the Movies" series every year.
Please let us know place, times and where to park.

That's fantastic, TT! And wonderful work!

Just to be sure I understand, you're saying you guys won't be available any day after July 23rd, right?

-Andy
loomborn
Site Admin

Postby Twilight Trekker » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:01 pm

Hi Andy,
I was saying July 23rdish because we also start working on the 12 Stone Church "At the Movies" builds around this time. We haven't gotten a start date from them yet. We are usually there 3-4 nights a week. If you guys are working on the float on weekends we could throw that into our schedule
We would be driving in from Lawrenceville and we would work until you guys were ready to quit. (Paul and Connie Benham)
Hi Andy!
Sorry about not being able to come on Saturday. Its my birthday and we he had planned it before you gave the dates. Can you please let us know what future dates you have schedule so we can put them in our calendar.

We are getting really close to the weekend will you tell us what time and where to meet you guys on Sunday? Haven't seen any posts with this information. pcbenham@msn.com

Paul and Connie Benham
Twilight Trekker

Postby loomborn » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:50 pm

Hi, Connie! Believe me, I think we understand you not coming out on your birthday! Also, happy birthday!

We're planning to start in the morning, in Carrollon, but I'm still nailing down the time. I'll post as soon as I have it settled - should be the next day or two.

Thanks!

-A
loomborn
Site Admin

Return to DRAGON*CON 2017