Amy and Rory's Farewell: the "P.S."

Talk of release dates, special features, and all the other things one finds on wonderful, wonderful DVDs

Amy and Rory's Farewell: the "P.S."

Postby galacticprobe » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:32 am

I'm not sure if this should have gone in the DVD News and Discussion, or the Classic and New Series Discussion since it could fit into either one. But I'm sure by now that most of us - if not all of us - have seen the "P.S." storyboard video that has been on some Doctor Who FB pages (and now on YouTube). Written by upcoming new showrunner, Chris Chibnall, showing a meeting with Rory's dad and his fully-grown grandson, voiced over by Arthur Darvill:

"The Angels Take Manhattan" - never-filmed scene

What many may have not seen yet is this recent vid notifying fans of a petition to get that "P.S." scene filmed in live-action:
Petition video

Here's the link to the petition to sign:
Omitted scene petition
(NOTE: Once you've filled in your info to sign the petition - if you decide to sign it - when you click the big green "SIGN PETITION" button, the site will take you to the next page where it asks for donations. You don't have to donate anything to get your name on the petition. Just close the page if you want; your name will still be on the petition. This is not a Go Fund Me-type of thing; it's just a petition trying to get the omitted scene filmed. The donation is to help keep the petition site operating, so you don't have to donate if you don't want to.)

The wife and I just signed it; we decided not to donate to the site and our names are still on the petition. That brought the total signatures up to 914 (a long way to have come from the "about 17​" signatures mentioned in that second video link above!). So it's certainly getting some exposure.

The wife saw the "P.S." vid on one of the Doctor Who Hub pages not long after this episode aired, and also thought since "Angels Take Manhattan" was a "finale" for Amy and Rory that Moffat should have gone ahead and just done it, no matter if it meant the episode was going to run five or so minutes longer than usual. The cost couldn't have been too much, especially if it was done just as seen in the storyboard version. Only Arthur Darvill would have had an off-screen speaking role, so cost could have been kept to a minimum.

Anyway, as the second vid above says there are no guarantees, just a 50/50 shot at getting this omitted scene filmed, and hopefully added onto the end of the Series 7a DVD set (or the start of the 7b set) - basically put on the DVD where it should normally be and not tucked away as a Special Feature extra. The more exposure this gets, the more signatures it will get, and with Chris Chibnall about to take over as showrunner, if enough signatures get on the petition, the scene he wrote (and Moffat left out) has a better chance of making it onto DVD in live-action.

All we can do is try.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"
galacticprobe

Return to DVD NEWS AND DISCUSSION