Academic Introductions

Discuss things which may or may not be utterly unrelated to Doctor Who! Stuff! Things! Chat! You get the idea!

Re: Academic Introductions

Postby galacticprobe » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:28 am

Welcome aboard, Scouser! I was recruited into the Academy at a Timegate (2013) - recruited, hounded, pestered, given the old "You have to join us!" appeal (thankfully without the stipulation of having to drink the KoolAid!). :lol:

Seriously, though; I met a few PA members at that Timegate and they were a great bunch, so I said, why not!? And here I've been since. I contribute where and when I can to help, and everyone seems to be as friendly as those I met at Timegate, so I think you've come to the perfect place.

I'm in Virginia Beach, by the way, and with the Cons in this area drying up Timegate 2013 was the first real Con we'd been to in close to five years (and we had to scrape to get the pennies together for that); but with Colin Baker being there, and not having seen him in person since meeting him and Jon Pertwee (among others) at a 'Who' Con in Valley Forge, PA back in June 1985, we just had to get to Timegate to see him again.

Unfortunately we missed this year's because it came too close to the due date of our first grandbaby - I think our son may have been off a little on the dates because his wife still hasn't "popped" yet, but she looks like she's swallowed a planet! A real one! She's got to have it any day now (although my mum says I was about three weeks late... and it's been the story of my life since!).

Maybe next year, or one of these years, we'll bump into each other at a Timegate.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"
galacticprobe

Postby loomborn » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:15 pm

Welcome to the group, Scouser! Ha, no, don't worry, not the first new member in that time - not everyone who joins posts in the intro thread.

Oh man, I have always wanted to see proper gathering of Cybermen. As a Dalek builder, I've become somewhat used to seeing them in real life, but Cybermen are something different. I hope you'll post some images here of your outfits, and about your events as they happen; I would love to see that.

We also have a Facebook group which tends to be more active at the moment... if you're on FB, come join us there as well!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PrydonAcademy/

Nice to meet you!

-Andy
loomborn
Site Admin

Postby RussellSuthern » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:28 am

Hello all.

My name is Russell. I live on the South coast of England (I live in Worthing & teach Martial Arts in Brighton.)
I am a lifelong Dr Who fan. I started watching with Jon, but Tom is MY Doctor. I used to dress up as Dr Who all the time when I was a kid, then I grew out of it & now I've grown back into it!
I was recommended this site by the one & only Dino (Galacticprobe.) Hi, Dino! So.... here I am!
I was quite active building props for a while. I have a full size TARDIS over on TARDISbuilders & two full sized Daleks over on ProjectDalek.
I've run out of room for any more props now, so I'm getting more into cosplay, always choosing to emulate my favourite Dr, the one & only Tom Baker!
(Not another 4th Doctor!, I hear you cry... Oh well, always room for one more!)
I have several variants of Tom's costume & several different scarves. I look forward to sharing many pictures with you all over the coming months, but to start with, I'll show you this one:

CP 1.JPG
CP 1.JPG (111.73 KiB) Viewed 70 times

This is me emerging from my scratch built TARDIS, wearing the 1st ever Dr Who scarf I owned.
It started life a bit shorter than this, but has stretched out over the years, as I wear it a lot.

One thing I am very proud of is that I always wear my scarf out & about in the winter.
My motto is: "Wear your Dr Who scarf with pride!"

I get the odd look, but the vast majority of comments are very positive & if anyone wants to make a negative comment, they can kiss my (fill in the blank.)

Well, that's me! I look forward to looking round the site, seeing all the great costumes & getting to know everyone a bit better!

Regards to one & all!

Russell
RussellSuthern

Postby galacticprobe » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:11 pm

RussellSuthern wrote:I was recommended this site by the one & only Dino (Galacticprobe.) Hi, Dino! So.... here I am!

Hi, Russell! I'm glad to see your intro and I hope my recommendation of PA doesn't disappoint. There are loads to look at here, and you'll find everyone is very friendly. So if you have any questions, just ask and someone will help answer them. I know you've heard (make that "read") me say this before, but we love photos! And you've started out with a great one. I never get tired of seeing a TARDIS, or a 4th Doctor scarf, and here are both in one photo: beautiful! (I really need to get a new scarf; the one the wife made me back in 1983 is so worn out that it's unwearable. :( )

I won't prattle on because you have seen everything I've said before, so I'll just say... Welcome aboard!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"
galacticprobe

Previous

Return to THE PANOPTICON