This and That - Twilight Trekker

Discuss things which may or may not be utterly unrelated to Doctor Who! Stuff! Things! Chat! You get the idea!

This and That - Twilight Trekker

Postby Twilight Trekker » Wed May 31, 2017 3:42 pm

Yes I really love working on our "builds" We built 2 Imperial Walkers, a walk thru Millennium Falcon, a staging set with R2D2 and C3PO, and a Yoda set, a pirate ship, and stocks, pile of treasure and cage set, 3 Memory Towers and 2 Emotion sets for Inside Out, a massive Where's Dory set, A self contained Toy Story Set, Stark workshop, Tie Fighter console set, Oh yeah and "The Martin" landing stations, oh and the Capt. America Civil War items. We have a few left over items from the year before for Minions, UP, Jurassic Park, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Frozen, etc. You should have seen the Jurassic Park set it was AMAZING. I got to be a Scientist in the InGen laboratory that we built explaining DNA splicing and dinosaurs. I love science and dinosaurs so I didn't need a script. LOL I had so much fun. So this year I got to be a Minion - I was Bob "Yay King Bob! They gave me a fart gun and I made my own Tim Teddy Bear. LOL

You can check in at https://www.facebook.com/dawn.treader.357. Was that a Pinky and the Brain reference?
Twilight Trekker

Re: This and That - Twilight Trekker

Postby The14thDr » Wed May 31, 2017 5:54 pm

I don't think there's anything I can say but WOW!!

Every single one of those builds is simply beautiful! Honestly, I could scroll trough those images for hours. Thank you for taking the time to share these with us.

Kind regards, The14thDr

P.S. It's funny you should mention "Pinky and the Brain" - I used to love watching that growing up, it was probably one of my favourite cartoons. They really don't make kid's shows like that anymore.
The14thDr

Postby galacticprobe » Wed May 31, 2017 11:46 pm

The14thDr wrote:I don't think there's anything I can say but WOW!!

I definitely agree there! I had no idea you'd built that many things, Trekker! (Sort of makes me feel inadequate when I can't even get a scaled-down console build started. :( )

The14thDr wrote:Every single one of those builds is simply beautiful! Honestly, I could scroll trough those images for hours. Thank you for taking the time to share these with us.

Again I agree with this sentiment!

The14thDr wrote:P.S. It's funny you should mention "Pinky and the Brain" - I used to love watching that growing up, it was probably one of my favourite cartoons. They really don't make kid's shows like that anymore.

"NARF!" ;) :D

Erm... I mean, from your other post with that Walker in the background...
Twilight Trekker wrote:I do not want to clog up this post... Was that a Pinky and the Brain reference?

...which part of that were you thinking was a 'Pink and The Brain' reference? (I know I can be a little dense at times, so a little help is always appreciated. :) )

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"
galacticprobe

Postby Twilight Trekker » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:53 pm

It's all brilliant! Absolutely brilliant! - Pinky would say this to the Brain all the time. Have you seen Phineas and Ferb? If you liked Pinky and the Brain you would love them as well. They were on Netflix. The Tick was hilarious as well.

Anyway I removed some of the photos because it was just too much. There were a lot of us working on that build so for the most part I was really happy how it turned out. If you want to see more photos I have them in an Album on my Facebook page. My Facebook name is Dawn Treader
https://www.facebook.com/dawn.treader.3 ... 560&type=3
They would not let me use Twilight Trekker.

I really would like to work on the Float though. We have met a few people from DragonCon because we volunteered with Disability Services last year. DragonCon threw a volunteer party for us at Dave and Busters and we met some great people there. DragonCon's charity this year is Special Olympics so we volunteered to help there 2 weeks ago where we met more great people and had such a great time with the kids. We helped man a craft tent (we were giving out masks and the people were decorating them. We also had photo opportunities with cosplayers for everyone. It was a hit.
So other than working and babysitting what have you guys been up to?
Twilight Trekker

Postby galacticprobe » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:58 am

Twilight Trekker wrote:It's all brilliant! Absolutely brilliant! - Pinky would say this to the Brain all the time.

Oh, nice! I guess that makes me a "Pinky", now. :? (14th: if you're reading this - and I know you are -say nothing on that, my young Padawan! ;) )

Twilight Trekker wrote:Have you seen Phineas and Ferb? If you liked Pinky and the Brain you would love them as well.

The wife and I loved 'Pinky and the Brain'! :D It was so huge at the time people were doing sketches of them at our local SciCon back in the 1990s before that Con went bust, and audience participation was way over the top!

We've seen a few of Phineas and Ferb on DisneyXD, but our favorite was the 2-hour musical special on 'Star Wars', which showed all of the scenes that we never got to see in the original "A New Hope". :lol: We laughed so hard it was painful. I'm glad we recorded that one because it needed a second watch to catch the things we missed while laughing. Our son loves them as well, but had never seen that special. So he stopped over one day and since he also loves 'Star Wars', I told him to sit while I showed him something. It had him in stitches as well! I also loved that Jamie Hyneman and Adam Savage from 'Mythbusters' lent their voices to a couple of the Storm Troopers, and Simon Pegg (a connection to both the new 'Trek', and to 'Doctor Who') was the voice of the Death Star Commander! (When last I looked, that one wasn't on Netflix. If they're still on Netflix I'll have to take a look to see if they've added any new episodes <he says hoping the 'Star Wars' special will be one>.)

My favorite quotes:
1) Darth Vader: "I find your lack of socks, displeasing."
2) Buford: "My only regret is that I ate that hoagie."

I only wish I'd known about them when I was working, because there are more people than I can count that I would have referred to as "Dr. Doofenshmirtz!"

Twilight Trekker wrote:The Tick was hilarious as well.

We loved the animated series that ran on Fox from 1994-1996 (3 seasons, 36 episodes). Why they aired the series finale on Comedy Central with no notice is beyond me, but then Fox was never the brightest network (coming in close behind the infamous NBC - No Brain Cells network; Fox is also the one that aired "Doctor Who: The Movie" in 1996 giving it little publicity :x , which could account for its low ratings; I missed it, but was lucky enough to have a friend that spotted the "Next on Fox" bumper and managed to slap a tape into his VCR in time, so he lent me this tape, which I of course copied, editing out the commercials as I went).

There were a lot of big names that lent their voices to some characters in 'The Tick', like Mark Hamill, Micky Dolenz from The Monkees (Arthur, Season 1), James Belushi, Susan Blu (known for voicing RC in the 1980s "Transformers" movie and later '80s animated series, and also the voice coordinator for many other animates shows), Dan Castellaneta (Homer Simpson), Bobcat Goldthwait, Roddy McDowell, Paul Williams, and far too many more to list here! The 2001 live-action series (again done by Fox :roll: ) was "okay", but Fox changed too many aspects in this version, from the Tick's and Arthur's headpieces to changing out much-loved characters (and having very little, if any, of the Tick's crime-fighting going on), and it didn't do well, though at times, as The Tick Patrick Warburton's vocal characteristics crossed lines between the 1960's Adam West 'Batman' and Brock Sampson from 'The Venture Brothers'. (This version only made it through 9 episodes.)

Amazon is working on a new 'Tick' series for their streaming channel, and according to the Pilot's reviews, it's been given a green light for a full season to premier in August. According to a few reviews, this version is staying true to the comic much like the original animates series was, so it should be good. (YouTube, 'The Tick' Review and Trailer)

Twilight Trekker wrote:Anyway I removed some of the photos because it was just too much. There were a lot of us working on that build so for the most part I was really happy how it turned out. If you want to see more photos I have them in an Album on my Facebook page. My Facebook name is Dawn Treader
https://www.facebook.com/dawn.treader.3 ... 560&type=3
They would not let me use Twilight Trekker.

Oh... falling back on the original MTV slogan: "Too much is never enough!". Thanks for the Facebook link, though. I don't have an account, but my wife does, so we can check out the photos. And Facebook probably has some sort of block on names - or part of names - with things like "Twilight" in them because of those films... which I wish could be blocked from my brain as even the previews were miserable!
Sickly.jpg
Sickly.jpg (4.17 KiB) Viewed 60 times
(And no; I never went to see any of those films because a) theater seats and my back don't get along, b) my vertigo and that huge screen don't get along, and c) too many people warmed me away with tales of how depressing the movies were, with lots of people just staring at each other for minutes on end. As I say, I thought the previews on TV were bad enough; I wasn't going to waste several hours of my life on films that so many people were telling me we'd have been better off without them.)

Twilight Trekker wrote:I really would like to work on the Float though. We have met a few people from DragonCon because we volunteered with Disability Services last year. DragonCon threw a volunteer party for us at Dave and Busters and we met some great people there. DragonCon's charity this year is Special Olympics so we volunteered to help there 2 weeks ago where we met more great people and had such a great time with the kids. We helped man a craft tent (we were giving out masks and the people were decorating them. We also had photo opportunities with cosplayers for everyone. It was a hit.

Sounds like a bunch of really great people down there doing some really great things! I really wish that one of these years we can make it to Dragon*Con. It sounds like a blast. It would be a 2-day drive for us each way, but after meeting some really great people at Timegate 2013, we'd really like to get back there and see them again (and of course, meet some new really great people as well!).

Twilight Trekker wrote:So other than working and babysitting what have you guys been up to?

Babysitting, well, the wife mostly does that. I can't keep up with Stormageddon. The only thing I've been working on is some SF writing - something I've wanted to try since my days in the 5th Grade. I started on a 'Star Trek' spinoff novel, but thanks to CBS (you don't want to know what I think those initials stand for :evil:) putting such tight restrictions on what authors can and can't write with regards to 'Trek' (and mine was set in the "real" Trekverse, not the "JJverse"), I've noticed that pre-JJTrek novels have fallen way off. Mine was lighthearted, sort of along the lines of "The Trouble With Tribbles" - a new ship, with a whole new crew of serious people that find themselves in situations that are so absurd you just can't help but laugh. I started penning it back in 1987, and thanks to military life, and injuries, it's taken me so long to get finished. I've updated things as time went on, and now the adventure was supposed to have started about 6 months or so after the end of the Dominion War ended.

Now I'm in the midst of a total re-write to put things into my own universe rather than deal with the 'Trek' people at CBS, and what scares me is that after seeing the trailer for Seth McFarlane's new series, 'The Orville', it looks like he's picked up on some of my brainwaves, right down to the names of the baddies, only changing one letter in their Race's name: his "Krill" vs. my "Krell". I named mine with a nod to the long-extinct Race of Altair IV from "Forbidden Planet", and while many (probably some on this Forum) are old enough to remember "Forbidden Planet" and the Krell of Altair IV, most people watching 'The Orville' would look at my baddies and claim that I stole the name from McFarlane rather than the other way round. I still might keep the name since "Krell" has been used in other things.

I'd still love to see my original dream of it being a 'Trek' spinoff, but unless I'm lucky enough to get a private audience with Rod Roddenberry where I can talk about it with him to pitch the idea, since he would be better at pitching it to the right people than I would, I think my 'Trek' spinoff is a dead issue, and it's a new universe for me. (And then there's the troubles of trying to find a reputable agent to represent me as publishing houses are no longer taking "unsolicited" manuscripts - meaning they want every submission to come through an agent. If you're familiar with the British comedy 'As Time Goes By', what I need is an Alistair Deacon on my side. So if you know of such a person, please point him in my direction? :))

Other than that, the wife retired early so she can babysit. I can't work, so I concentrate on writing things, and occasionally (like Saturday) paying a visit to the Naval Hospital's ER because of a back spasm thanks to that injury that's had me sidelined for pretty much since 2011. But like I tell everyone else that has bad days, I look in the mirror and say "Brave heart, you ugly mug!" and I battle on from there.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"
galacticprobe

Return to THE PANOPTICON